About this course: Being a successful FinTech firm requires more than just great technology; it also requires an understanding of the laws and regulations applicable to your business. This course will provide you with that understanding. You will learn about the critical legal, regulatory, and policy issues associated with cryptocurrencies, initial coin offerings, online lending, new payments and wealth management technologies, and financial account aggregators. In addition, you will learn how regulatory agencies in the U.S. are continually adjusting to the emergence of new financial technologies and how one specific agency has proposed a path for FinTech firms to become regulated banks. You will also learn the basics of how banks are regulated in the U.S.
If you are unfamiliar with how these new financial technologies work, fear not. We will begin each new course section with a high-level overview of the underlying technology. While the course is principally focused on the U.S. FinTech industry, we cannot possibly cover every relevant legal and regulatory issue. Therefore, this course should not be construed as legal advice. Rather, the goal of the course is to familiarize you with the key legal and regulatory challenges FinTech firms in various sectors face, as well as the critical policy debates that are occurring in Washington D.C. and state capitals across the country.
Welcome to FinTech Law and Policy
- Video: Introduction to the Course
- Video: What is FinTech?
- Reading: Course Information
- Reading: Legal Disclaimer
The Evolving Relationship Between FinTechs, Regulators, and Traditional Financial Institutions
- Video: Explaining What Can Go Wrong When FinTechs Don’t Understand Regulation
- Video: Regulatory Challenges Facing U.S. FinTech Firms
- Practice Quiz: Graded Lesson Quiz
- Video: FinTech Evolution and Investment Trends
- Video: How FinTech is Challenging Regulators
- Video: Regulatory Sandboxes
Cryptocurrency and Initial Coin Offerings
- Video: Explaining Cryptocurrency
- Video: Regulating Cryptocurrency as Money
- Video: Regulating Cryptocurrency as a Commodity
- Video: Regulating Cryptocurrency as Property
- Video: Explaining Initial Coin Offerings
- Video: Regulating Initial Coin Offerings
- Video: Explaining FinTech Credit
- Video: U.S. and Global Landscape
- Video: Regulatory and Legal Considerations
- Video: Common Lending Models
- Video: Vulnerabilities of FinTech Credit
- Video: Additional Legal Considerations
Banking Regulation in the U.S.
- Video: Creating and Regulating a Bank
- Video: Special Purpose FinTech Charter
- Video: Industrial Loan Company
FinTech Payments, Wealth Management, and Account Aggregation
- Video: Introduction to Traditional Payment Systems
- Video: Card Based Payments and Interbank Transfers
- Video: Mobile Payment Developments
- Video: Decentralized Payments
- Video: A Push for Faster Payments in the U.S.
- Video: FinTech Wealth Management
- Video: Financial Account Aggregators